Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I've lost it!

Recently, one of the men I live with (there are only two) has brought something to my attention. He is tired of doing all the cooking! Between you and me, I am tired of his cooking. :)



Since I opened the shop, I have done very little in the kitchen, besides sweeping the floor. I love to sweep. I don't feel that way about cooking. Still,I need to get back in culinary saddle, and give my dear husband a break, or there may be a revolt.




Just a few years ago, I was a fairly decent cook, not winning any gourmet awards or anything,,,,,,but we ate well. Well, they say "if you don't use it, you lose it"............I've lost it. It's not that I can't cook,,,,,I just can't think of anything different or out of the ordinary to make.



This situation in complicated by Dave working second shift, and his desire to eat his main meal of the day at 2 PM, while I am at the shop. Trust me, he has had this mealtime for most of his adult life,,,,,,I am not even going to try to change him. Dave eats at 2 , I eat at 5 and Ghen eats whenever he gets home.. Slow cooker meals, casseroles, etc,,,,must be made the night before. Cooking before I go to work in the morning is out of the question,,,,,,our house is tiny, Dave works very late and noisy pots and pans are not welcome before 10 AM.



Will any of you take pity on me and share some recipes or ideas? I welcome any and all input, Dave is threatening to whip up his infamous "noodles and corn"!!

5 comments:

Lynda said...

Chicken Tetrazzini
Prep: 30 minutes Total: 1 hour 10 minutes
Freezer-friendly chicken recipe makes one casserole that will serve four tonight, plus a second meal to freeze and pull out when you're in a pinch.
Ingredients
Serving: Serves 8
coarse salt and ground pepper
6 Tablespoons butter
1 Pound white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced inch thick
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
3 Cups milk
1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 Cup dry white wine
3 Cups grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 Pound linguine, broken in half
1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed and drained
Directions
1 Preheat oven to 400. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (for pasta). In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over high heat. Add mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until tender and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
2 Make sauce: In same saucepan, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook, whisking, about 1 minute. Whisking constantly, gradually add milk, broth, and wine. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and add 2 cups Parmesan and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Cook pasta 2 minutes less than package instructions for al dente; drain and return to pot. Add sauce, chicken, peas, and mushrooms. Toss well to combine. Divide between two shallow 2-quart baking dishes; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Freeze (see below) or bake until browned, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Anonymous said...

well considering that Dave won't eat anything "different" besides meat and potatoes.... you have pretty much cooked the hell out of meat and potatoes.... there are lots of "different" dishes, but unfortunately...nothing that Dave will like....

Anonymous said...

allrecipes.com

Great site! I use it all the time, it gives estimates of time to cook, allows for ingredient searches, and is rated by other users. It is is lifesaver!!

Anonymous said...

I second the vote for allrecipes.com. I use it all the time too when I need to find a recipe. I think you can even search on crockpot recipes. ;o)

Caryl

Anonymous said...

I sometimes put the crockpot recipe together ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator and then let is warmup maybe an hr before putting it in the crockpot base and starting it on low. Letting the actual crock become warm will prevent it from cracking, as if you put a cold liner right into the heating base and started the heat on. Thus you have to have a 2 part crock pot, 3 if you count the top.