Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Before and after

I acquired this chair somewhere last summer,,,, at a garage sale perhaps, a thrift shop.......I don't remember. If you recognize it, please let me know.


There is nothing in the photo to show scale,,,,,,,it is a child sized chair, covered in scratchy brown upholstery fabric and cat hair. The cat hair accumulated after I got the chair, the chair is the perfect size for Thunder to curl up in.




.



.



.











I did some scrumbles in my favorite colors and TA-DA! It is now an ART PIECE!

For those of you unfamiliar with scrumbling, it is freeform knit and crochet,,,,,,,no patterns, no rules. I learned from a master, Prudence Mapstone. Check out her website here. Prudence is from Australia, but I was lucky enough to take a class she taught here in Wisconsin a few years back.
I love this technique, it's very "out of the box"! And it is a great way to use up small bits of yarn.

Here is a photo of the chair in progress,,,,,,,,the scrumbled pieces are fit together like a puzzle,,,, and then stitched down,,, If you compare photos, you can see that I moved a lot of the pieces around to different positions in the finished chair.

Come see the chair at the shop. I will be teaching a class on scrumbling on May 5th........just phone the shop if you are interested.

3 comments:

Lynda said...

WOW it looks really cool! Nice use of color and texture...you sure got a lot of milage out of that class with Prudence!
Lynda

Anonymous said...

That is a cool chair...today in my art class the students will be bringing in things they've created to talk about ...I can't wait to see what comes in. We'll talk about them in small groups...
I wore the necklace you made for me with a face for the intro to that project, and talked about it and you!!
MB

Anonymous said...

This really should be on display for the fiber show at the Seipple House!
It's Fabulous!
t