Sunday, April 22, 2007

37 Years later




Way back in 1970, when this writer was in Grade 8, we celebrated the first Earth Day. I remember it well..........Our school made a huge deal of it. (MB, do you remember?)

One of the reasons our school in Neosho, Wisconsin did so much,was the fact that Earth Day was introduced by Gaylord Nelson, a senator from Wisconsin. We planned our Earth Day celebration for weeks,,,, Our generation would make a difference.



Have we? Pollution, mostly air pollution, was the big topic in 1970. Before the terms "global warming", and "going green", we tried to do the right thing to reduce pollution. Littering was also a buzz word back then. To this day, I don't litter, anyone who has seen the inside of my car can attest to that fact.!






I am not so sure about the effects of Earth Day 1970 on the rest of my life,though. I try, but going "green" is a whole lot of work sometimes. ( I know, it is worth the effort.)



Small things, done everyday, should make a difference. I buy local whenever possible. I don't drive much. I keep my house cool in winter,,,,,,,,( in the summer it is cool , too...shame on me for that!)



I reuse, recycle, and try not to fill the landfills with my junk. Heck, I even used cloth diapers for my twins!



But still, I feel like I might be a disappointment to my 1970 self,,,,,,,,so full of hope to clean up the earth.
Well, the best thing to do is resolve to do better, starting today.......... and turn UP that thermostat this summer!










Fo the knitter, here are some tips on "Knitting Green"








Oh, something else I just thought of..........we should all stop caving in to the pressure of our neighbors with the "perfect lawn"........all that fertilizer is just terrible for our waterways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I love dandelions!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I DO remember...and see in this small country of Japan what the effects of too many people's things can do to the environment...Now we separate everything...even down to candy wrappers....I am trying to do my part at Uni. by teaching lots of units on the environment...
MB

Anonymous said...

I DO remember...and see in this small country of Japan what the effects of too many people's things can do to the environment...Now we separate everything...even down to candy wrappers....I am trying to do my part at Uni. by teaching lots of units on the environment...
MB