Wednesday, May 9, 2007

When a young man's fancy

From Locksley Hall

byAlfred Lord Tennyson


In the Spring a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.Well, I don't know if Ghen's thought are of love, or dancing, or what. He certainly looks handsome in his tuxedo.



Ghen is my nephew, and lives with us. His mother is my sister, MB, my faithful reader and frequent commenter to this blog. Your boy is all grown up, MB. Here he is with his prom date posing near the river in Mayville. Prom is still a big deal, as it was way back when I was in high school. It's something about the high school experience that crosses generations. My Dad was prom king way back in the 1940's, the prom theme then was Stardust. Now, that is a lovely song. When I went to prom the theme was Stairway to Heaven...........not on my top ten list.........





Just a few years ago, in the spring my thoughts frequently turned to gardening. I knew all the greenhouses within 50 miles, and planted lots and lots of flowers. Even years before Dave and I married, I was constantly planting, moving, dividing, watering, etc. Early in our marriage, we called May the month of "planting frenzy", just when we though we had every thing planted, one of us would bring home another tomato plant, or just one more perennial.


Since I opened the shop, I no longer have the "gardening drive". Sad, but true. All my creative energy is spent at the shop, or thinking about the shop.......I get my "color fix" from yarn instead of flowers. Dave plants almost everything and cares for the yard almost by himself. I do cut the grass.............










This shrub is blooming in my yard right now. It grows like a weed, and is very hardy. Dave dug out a few roots when his mother's farm was sold.........and I am so glad he did. When I was a child, we had the same kind of shrub on the farm. It has small yellow flowers, woody stems and an incredible spicy fragrance. A few branches brought inside makes the house smell wonderful.


The scent takes me right back to being a kid, a Catholic kid. May is the month to honor the Blessed Virgin. At school, at church and at home we had a "May altar", with a statue, and fresh flowers as often as possible. We also did May Crowning.



Bring flowers of the rarest
bring blossoms the fairest,
from garden and woodland and hillside and dale;
our full hearts are swelling,
our glad voices telling
the praise of the loveliest flower of the vale!

O Mary we crown thee with blossoms today!
Queen of the Angels and Queen of the May.
O Mary we crown thee with blossoms today!
Queen of the Angels and Queen of the May.






The lilacs, tulips, phlox, and bleeding hearts are all blooming, so much spring all at once!
Like youth, abundant, and fleeting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's raining here, and I was also "looking back" today...listening to my MP3 player with songs Ghen downloaded for me...as I was listening to "100 years"....explaining about life stages...I logged on here...A few tears were shed as life makes changes and twists...
I LOVE those yellow flowers, too. Remember picking little day voilets that never lasted, and cowslips, and those bloodroot?
Thanks for bringing back old memories, and creating new ones for Ghen...
I LOVE YOU...MB