Sunday, July 1, 2007

math impaired


Never trust me to do the math. Period.
.
I understand the concepts.....It's the actual multiplying and dividing that I stink at...........
There is a fair amount of simple math involved in knitting, and in my former profession of nursing,, and quite a lot of math involved in running a business.. I just can't trust myself to do it without a calculator...
So, I use a calculator for almost everything... things that my Mom and Betty and Dave can do in their heads..I rely on the calculator... Except............this once.. 58 divided by 3 IS NOT 17!!
.
.
Let me explain:
Right now, knitting is kinda painful for me. My left hand is still complaining whenever I do more than a few stitches. What does my hand get for complaining? Well, rest,................. and surgery scheduled for July 13. Don't complain to me, I will cut you open!
.
.
.
Sock of the month club will go on, pain or not,,, so the only knitting my hand has allowed me has been the sample sock for each month. I am doing the August sample now. The pattern says cast on 58 stitches,,,,,,, hmm,,,,,,,,,, no calculator needed for this........I cast on 17 on each of three needles. Size 0 needles.
I knit the cuff, the lace edged heel flap, turned the heel, taking frequent breaks to let my hand rest...... it is then I discover that I have cast on too few stitches for the pattern to complete the lace pattern on the instep!
.
.
.
Why am I admitting my math inadequacies?
Two reasons:
1. So the new knitters can see that everyone , everyone makes big mistakes and has to rip it out.
2. If for some reason I can't use the cash register at the shop..... you had better count your change carefully........I probably made a mistake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SORRY to hear you have to have surgery again....
MB