Monday, January 11, 2010

Soup to Nuts

Soup is the perfect food for January, in my opinion.
The obvious reason is that it is warm and satisfying and a comfort food. If it is prepared with a little discretion, soup as a meal can help to shed that holiday weight gain.
In addition most soups feel like "everyday" food, after all the rich goodies in December, it is refreshing, almost virtuous.



I made soup today. Clean out the fridge soup. My ingredients included carrots, some slightly rubbery celery, leftover tomato basil egg noodles and stock...I cooked some barley, added that, and voila! It's soup! Yummy. And the fridge is empty of leftover this and that. I did leave one item off the list, an exotic (to me) vegetable lurking under the carrots in the crisper drawer. Any guesses?
If you look closely at the photo, the mystery vegetable can be seen, that is, if you know what you are looking for...
If you happen to be my younger sister, you are forbidden to guess or give away the answer, you probably picked this veggie yourself at the Good Earth Farm.
What does the correct guesser of the mystery veggie win? Satisfaction, I guess, unless you want some soup.











I found a nice book today at the thrift shop., Journeys through Bookland, published in 1922.


Inside cover
The title page reads
"A NEW AND ORIGINAL PLAN FOR READING APPLIED TO THE WORLD'S BEST LITERATURE FOR CHILDREN"
The book has lovely illustrations, but the content would challenge any of today's children...
Young readers, perhaps, but not for children. Were kids smarter back then? or just more studious?

---------------------------------------------
After the soup, I enjoyed cracking some nuts, filberts are my favorite!










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I will venture a guess on the "exotic" vegetable in your soup. It looks like cauliflower. although that is not too exotic. Am I right?

Happy New Year!

Jane Schmidt

Janyce said...

Parsley root.

Unknown said...

Only two guesses, good guesses, but incorrect...the mystery veggies is Daikon. Japanese Radish!
~no soup for you~

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back to blogging..I am enjoying reading it again...it's much more tantilizing than Facebook...
MB

Janyce said...

Hey, I was close. On the web parsely root an radish root look about the same. Don't you think????