Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fun Socks

A few weeks ago , a new book came into my shop, New Pathways for Sock Knitters, by Cat Bordhi. Don't come in tomorrow to look at it, we are all sold out. I have more on order. I knew immediately that this book would be popular....... it takes a revolutionary look at knitting socks... or "sockitecture" as the author calls it.





I have been itching to try out a few of the techniques from the book,,, but I promised myself (and others) to finish some knitting, sewing, mending, cleaning.......first.



Well, while at the cabin Sunday, I finally made two "sample socks" from the book.



To the untrained eye, these socks may look the same. AHHHHH, but they are not. Not like knitting any other socks you may have made in the past. What fun!

This one is called is called the 'sky" sock, all the instep shaping is done in a triangle at the top of the foot.






All the increasing is done between markers "a" and 'b" . Top down.















...
...
...
........
.

.

.
.
One done, I launched into the next sample sock.
The "Coriolis" sock has a swirly bit of design and shaping across the top of the foot and up the leg.
This sock is knit from the toe up. I love it!









the arch stitches in socks don't need to go where we've always put them. With a little understanding, you can put those stitches anywhere within the arch area - for example, in an orderly column or placed randomly - with equally successful results. Bordhi outlines eight sock architectures based on this principle, with master patterns that can be customized for any foot, yarn type, or needle, in any size ranging from infant to large adult. More than twenty additional patterns round out the collection. This is just book one . . . I can only imagine what'll come next. --Clara Parkes, INTERWEAVE KNITS Magazine

I heartily agree with this review, and I can't wait to try another method of sock construction from this book!

No comments: