Friday, April 24, 2009

Birding

Wednesday evening, near sunset, a flock of birds unknown to me was feeding in a shallow, flooded area of a plowed field. Of course, I had to stop, back up the car and have a good look. Because the light was fading fast, the birds' coloring was difficult to see. At least 50 of these birds were there.

Thursday morning, in the good strong daylight, I went back to see. I was surprised, about 10 of the LESSER YELLOWLEGS were still there. Easy to identify in the daylight by their size and the color of the legs. Migrating, I suppose.

I have never seen this bird before, and certainly not in such numbers. I am grateful to live so close to the Horicon Marsh, where such sightings are a part of everyday life.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Wow! you are lucky to have seen them! Did you find out anything about them? Are they just passing through? There is going to be a night time program at the new Marsh center about frogs and toads at night. Want to go?